The Crossbow first appeared in the middle ages as a hunting tool. When hunters/farmers were forced to join wars, the crossbow soon followed suit. It proved to be an efficient weapon and was easy to load and fire. Ballistas/Scorpions/Black Crows came to use when the crossbow was added to the national arsenal. These crossbows were much larger and could not be fired by a single person. They were usually used as a defense on a wall or castle. The crossbow was obsolete when firearms were invented by the colonial Asians.
Crossbowman in-game Edit
Crossbowmen are light archer units with low hitpoints and damage, but decent range, and a multiplier to heavy infantry and ranged cavalry.
Base statistics Edit
- Cost: 40 food, 40 wood, 1 population
- Hitpoints: 100
- Resistance: 20% ranged
- Ranged damage: 18; 16 range; 1.25x versus heavy infantry; 0.75x versus cavalry; 2x versus ranged cavalry; 3 ROF
- Melee damage: 7; 1.25x versus heavy infantry; 0.75x versus cavalry; 2x versus ranged cavalry; 1.5 ROF
- Siege damage: 8; 6 range; 3 ROF
- Speed: 4
- The Portuguese civilization get a guard upgrade for their Crossbowmen, naming them "Besteiros". This upgrade can be researched through the Church, after sending the unique church card via the Home City.